Quality public spaces require quality stewardship.
Of equal importance to the plaza's physical design is its stewardship design - how it is managed and funded over time. Eagle Plaza will be equipped with both the long-term maintenance and operations funding and the governance systems needed to ensure Eagle Plaza sustains itself as a successful public urban amenity in perpetuity.
Critical to the success of Eagle Plaza will be creating and sustaining a robust, well-funded stewardship entity to ensure that Eagle Plaza remains clean, safe and welcoming for all. The stewardship of Eagle Plaza will be managed by "Friends of Eagle Plaza,” a neighborhood-based nonprofit group comprised of local residents, nearby businesses and property owners, and other interested stakeholders. Aided by the San Francisco Parks Alliance, a longstanding San Francisco nonprofit that facilitates neighborhood park stewardship, Friends of Eagle Plaza will oversee the maintenance and operations of the plaza, hiring out for routine cleaning, coordinating special events, and managing a stable funding stream to ensure the cleanliness, safety and accessibility of Eagle Plaza as a shared public amenity for all members of the community. Friends of Eagle Plaza's Management Plan outlining its scope of services, funding mechanisms and allocation processes, and governance structure will be posted on this website once created, in the spirit of being hyper-transparent.
The Friends of Eagle Plaza are:
- Lex Montiel & Mike Leon - Owners of The SF Eagle Tavern (398 12th St.)
- Stefan Magdalinski - 1 Bernice Street resident and property owner, adjacent to Eagle Plaza
- Barry Synoground - Owner of DNA Lounge (375 11th St.)
- Rachele Sullivan - Folsom Street Events Board Member, San Francisco Bay Area Leather Alliance Director, Member of Filipino America Association of Star of the Sea (FAASTAR)
- Tom Taylor - Isis Street resident and property owner, Founder of Diversity Foundation of San Francisco
- Henry Karnilowicz - President of SOMBA, SF Council of District Merchants Association Board Member, Eastern Neighborhoods Citizens Advisory Committee Member
- Dallas Bradley - Western SoMa resident, Lafayette-Minna-Natoma Neighborhood Watch Block Captain
- Eric Lopez - Western SoMa resident, Chair of Somabend Neighborhood Association
- Ben Woolsey - Kissling Street resident and property owner, Chair of Western SoMa Voice
- Katie O'Brien - 1532 Harrison Project Manager
- Brooke Ray Rivera & Jared Press - Place Lab (formerly Build Public) staff, coordinating design, approvals & funding for Eagle Plaza
Please check out our Facebook Page!